Static Movement

A Blog for our Webzine, Static Movement

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Back Seat Writers?

So, this morning I had MSNBC on, and was half paying attention to it while checking up on my email and such. When they finally took a break from the Mel Gibson report (Don't you know that its the most important story in the world!) they had a brief report on JK Rowling and whether or not Harry Potter was going to die. Apparently, Stephen King and John Irving met with JK and are attempting to persuade her not to kill off Harry.

Now I'm not a fan of JK Rowling, I've never read her books or seen the movies. I simply have no interest in them. But I do respect her as a writer. But I can understand what it is like to be a fan of a series and/or fictional characters as a spectator. I think the readers have the right to be upset over the idea of Harry possibly dieing, and they even have the right to send letters, pettitions, and etc to the author about this matter within reason.

However, I do have an issue with King an Irving trying persuade her to not kill off the character. It comes off as highly inappropiate and unproffesional. Like standing over her shoulder while she writes and say, 'Tsk, Tsk...take that part out." As if they know better then her in regards to how she should handle her own creation. An editor doesn't even have that right at this point. Considering she's already finished the manuscript, and she has a brain in her head its highly unlikely that she'll change anything just because of these back seat writers' attempts.
I just found it highly messed up for two established writers to do something like this to another writer. Unheard of really and rather pathetic. If it was me I probably would have laughed in their face and told them in colorful language to leave me alone. I give JK props for having more class then that. LOL

I don't know, and don't care if Harry is gonna die, but that's not the point. The point is writers should have enough respect to not try and do what King and Irving did. I wonder how they would feel if someone did that to either of them.

~ KvN

5 Comments:

  • At 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It may be ironic that in King's novel Misery his "number one fan" does the "Tsk tsk tsk" thing literally to the writer protagonist...
    Charles

     
  • At 5:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What can I say? (I have secretly hoped that "He-who-cannot-be-named" wins. Sorry.) After they bumped off Dumbledore I have been peeved at her. - Pete

     
  • At 10:10 AM, Blogger Jamie said…

    Hmmm, and Stephen King said of his Gunslinger series something to the effect that his readers should be prepared for Roland to never reach the Tower, or perhaps even die.

     
  • At 10:51 AM, Blogger ArthurS said…

    I think you make some great points but I'm a bit of cynic. I half suspect that the whole thing was just a ploy to get some free press. (Like any of them need it?) King is well known for being touchy about his writing. He doesn't like people telling him what to do. So I can't see him doing that to anyone else.

    Part of being a best selling author is using the media to your best advantage. You have to make sure that people know about you and then you have to remind them when they seem to forget.

    So you get three best selling authors at a charity reading and two announce that they begged the third not to kill off her extremely popular hero. Hmmm? And every news agency in the English speaking world covered the story cause who won't know at least one of the three writers involved?

    Yup, I just keep getting more and more cynical with every day. ;-)

     
  • At 10:28 PM, Blogger Kevin_H said…

    Good point, Arthur. Makes a lot of sense about using the media, and is probably true.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

 
()()